The kids wanted to make dinner tonight and were looking for something easy so I suggested this recipe.
They pulled it off with minimal supervision and had a great time working together (no, seriously!)
- 4 Medium Sized Carrots – Cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash – Cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Ginger (We used the Derlea Foods pre-grated stuff)
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Diced Garlic
- 4 Cups of Chicken Broth (Sodium content is up to you)
- 1 Sploosh of Olive Oil (Circle the pan)
- 1/4 Cup Light Table Cream
- Cracked Pepper (To Taste)
- Basil or Chives (Garnish)
Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is caramelized, add the carrots, squash and ginger; sautee for a minute or two. Add the broth and boil until the veggies are soft. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender (or potato masher if an immersion blender is not handy) until smooth. Add the cream and blend again. Ladle into bowls and top with basil shreds or sliced chives and cracked pepper.
We also cheated and made Red Lobster Biscuits from a boxed mix we found at Walmart to go with the soup and they were DEELISH!!